Soft and tender beef with the sweetness of cabbage and tomatoes with a smooth, flavorful and slightly gooey gravy served over rice. Tomato beef gravy over rice is easy to make especially if you have a pot of braised beef already made up, it will only take 15 minutes to complete this balanced and delicious meal. It’s a popular lunch option, often served at beef noodle or fried rice shops since they’ve already got all the ingredients in hand and ready to go.
This is another recipe that’s great for TAIWANESE BRAISED TOMATO BEEF NOODLE SOUP | 番茄紅燒牛肉麵 leftovers, and more reason for you to make a big pot of it because you will never get sick of the pot with all these recipes based on that same delicious pot of soft, tender beef. Whether it’s rice or noodles, soup or no soup there’s something for everybody and great for meal prep but still eating fresh, different food every day.
Since the braised beef already has tons of flavor, you barely have to do much with this recipe. Add some veg, a bit of thickening agent and you get yourself a fast and delicious meal! “Gravy over rice”(燴飯, hui4fan4) is a popular, fast, one-dish meal in Taiwan. It’s easy for those who eat out to get a bit of everything- vegetables, protein and carbs. This is just as common as fried rice, some like it dry, some like it with a little more texture and gravy.
There are many variations to “gravy over rice”, like fried rice it comes with all kinds of different ingredients and flavor. My favorite gravy and rice shop also sells fried rice, their menu is pretty simple, with the same ingredients you get to pick whether you want it as fried rice or gravy over rice. Options includes: tomato beef, egg and beef, supreme, black pepper chicken, shrimp with egg and squid…… and so much more. You can add your favorite vegetables and protein to this recipe and dress it up if you want. I think “gravy over rice” may be what a lot of American Chinese food is based off of- adding all kinds of vegetables to a protein dish and make it gooey to serve with rice.
SHARE YOUR EXPERIMENT WITH US ON INSTAGRAM WITH #CHEWEXPERIMENT!!!
OR HOP ON OVER TO CHOOCHOO-CA-CHEW’S FACEBOOK PAGE AND TELL US HOW YOU LIKE THE RECIPE!
- 1 TBsp Oil
- 2 C Broth from Braised Beef Recipe at: TAIWANESE BRAISED TOMATO BEEF NOODLE SOUP
- 10 Chunks of Beef from Braised Beef cut into bite size
- 1 Tomato Cut into 8 pieces
- 3 Leaves of Cabbage Chopped
- 2 Cloves garlic Minced
- 1 TBsp Soy Sauce
- 1-1/2 TBsp Corn Starch or Tapioca starch
- 1/4 C Water
- 2 C Rice Cooked according to instruction on the package
- Heat up 1 TBsp Oil, stir fry garlic and cabbage until soft
- Add the tomatoes, chunks of beef and 2C broth and 2Tbsp of Soy Sauce and bring to a boil
- In a bowl, mix 1-1/2TBsp corn starch with 1/4C Water
- Pour the corn starch mixture to the beef stew and mix well, cook until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon then turn off the heat
- Pour over cooked rice and serve
Try Tomato Beef Gravy over Rice | 番茄牛肉燴飯 with: