The combination of some hearty dumplings stuffed with cabbage and pork, or any other flavor of your choice floating in a bowl of hot, flavorful soup. It is sensational. If beef noodle soup tastes like heaven, this dumpling soup really brings it home.
I like noodles but sometimes I want something different. I like dumplings but they get cold fast here and sometimes I want a little more. A bowl of dumpling soup is just perfect.
I wish there were a more proper name for these “dumplings”. Because it seems like what the Western world called dumplings comes in only about 100 different names, shapes and ways to prepare them around Taiwan. This dumpling specifically is “水餃” (shui3 jiao3), usually boiled in water, has a thin dough layer and stuffed with fillings. If you’re interested in the ways of dumplings, Hey There, Dumpling! is a pretty cute book to check out. You’ll learn about the different ways of dumplings, variations and fusion food! It may not be the most authentic but I love its vibe.
This recipe takes the delicious broth from TAIWANESE BRAISED TOMATO BEEF NOODLE SOUP | 番茄紅燒牛肉麵 combined with PORK AND CABBAGE DUMPLINGS | 高麗菜豬肉水餃. Another great thing about this recipe is that if you’ve already got a bag of frozen dumplings made up or bought in store and braised beef soup in stock, this delicious meal will only take 10 minutes!
Even without the braised beef broth, you can still make this delicious dumpling soup with either homemade chicken/beef/pork stock. Use it to replace the braised beef broth and add salt to taste. Experiment the combinations yourself, try stock or broth in different flavors and dumplings with different fillings. The classic is definitely braised beef broth with cabbage and pork dumplings but I love it the most with Chinese leek and pork dumplings.
A bowl of dumpling soup is actually the go-to dish we order back in Taiwan when visiting beef noodle shops. They often has dumplings as people love them as much as noodles if not more. We loved how the flavors marry into each other when you bite into a dumpling and the succulent filling comes oozing out and mixed into the warm soup that has completely different layers of flavor of its own. Imagine that for a cold night.
Dumpling soup is the best of both worlds. Say goodbye to dipping dumplings in soy sauce and try this amazing one-bowl meal.
SHARE YOUR EXPERIMENT WITH US ON INSTAGRAM WITH #CHEWEXPERIMENT!!!
OR HOP ON OVER TO CHOOCHOO-CA-CHEW’S FACEBOOK PAGE AND TELL US HOW YOU LIKE THE RECIPE!
- 16 Fresh or frozen dumplings I'm using PORK AND CABBAGE DUMPLINGS | 高麗菜豬肉水餃
- 6 C Broth from Braised Beef or broth of your choice
- 2 C Water
- 1 Sprig Spring Onion Chopped
- 1 Bunch Green veg of your choice Chopped into 2" pieces
Boiling the dumplings and Blanch the Veggies
- Boil the dumplings according to instructions or Bring a large pot of water to boil, and add the frozen dumplings. Boil on medium high heat for 10 mins, drain and remove from pot and into two bowls
- Add the Chopped green veg to the boiling water and blanch for 1 minute, drain and add them to the bowls
Heat up the broth
- Heat up 6C of broth from braised beef(or broth of your choice) and 2C of water, bring to a boil
- Add salt to taste
Garnish and serve
- Pour the hot broth over the dumplings and garnish with chopped spring onions
- Serve hot
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:
TAIWANESE BRAISED TOMATO BEEF NOODLE SOUP | 番茄紅燒牛肉麵 (USE THE BROTH TO MAKE DUMPLING SOUP)